Recently, news stories about China have surfaced that should compel us to step up our prayers. News outlets report that the Chinese are conducting military drills near Taiwan. Taiwan’s government says it believes China could be ready to conduct a full-scale invasion by 2025.
Meanwhile, the Chinese have been busy trying to establish a global hegemony. They invest heavily in improving infrastructure in Africa and supporting the poorer countries’ economies with large collateralized loans, in return for access to natural resources China lacks at home. This gives China power over the nations that are indebted to it. For instance, Ecuador is forced to sell off 3 million acres of the Amazon rainforest to Chinese oil companies to help satisfy its more than $7 million in debt.
China under Xi Jin Ping makes no secret of its ambition to dominate the world economically and politically through a socialist market economy in which public ownership coexists alongside a diverse range of nonpublic forms of ownership. In other words, a marketplace economy that appears to be free but is tightly controlled by the government.
To achieve world domination, China needs a weak America, and China appears to have been working hard to achieve that. Some of its activities are hard to prove under American rules of evidence for a watertight accusation, but the smoking guns are undeniably there:
- Chinese land grabs. The Chinese now own almost 400,000 acres of land in the United States, some located near military bases. It is feared that owning land or corporations such as Smithfield, which owns land, gives China access to sensitive military data.
- Our nation’s drug enforcement agencies are calling the distribution of fentanyl one of the deadliest opioid crises ever. Most of it is manufactured in China and distributed by Mexican drug cartels. It is hard to detect and interdict and is contributing to an alarming rise in overdose deaths. America’s opioid crisis is no doubt weakening our society as a whole as more and more stressed and distressed Americans are turning to cheaper alternatives than prescription psych meds.
- Chinese men of military age crossing the border. Several news outlets have reported that large groups of military-age Chinese men are crossing the border mixed in with migrant groups from Central America. They claim to be refugees from the CCP’s oppressive regime, but that is unlikely since their families would face severe repercussions as a result of their defection. It is unclear what they have come to do, but the suspicion is strong that they are operatives sent in to spy or undertake covert actions on behalf of the Chinese government.
- The COVID-19 pandemic. Though official investigations have yielded “inconclusive results,” it cannot be denied that the coronavirus originated from the Wuhan Lab and spread under suspicious circumstances just before the U.S. Presidential elections. It is possible that China aimed to release the virus, dominate the world’s response, use it to undermine the government of President Trump by criticizing his management of the crisis, and influence elections through widespread lockdowns. That would facilitate the election of a pro-China president who immediately opened the border to illegal immigrants and fentanyl and began the process of woke policies that have undermined law and order and weakened the U.S. military. China needs a weak American military and chaos in its major cities to deter military intervention in its invasion of Taiwan. It is difficult to prove all this beyond reasonable doubt, but the smoking guns are clearly visible.
- Chinese spy balloons. As if Chinese spying can’t get any more obvious, spy balloons have been floating over the U.S. for several years, collecting military data. One was shot down last year by a fighter jet in February of this year, and it exposed the undetected use of hundreds more for several years. China needs to get an exact picture of what our military is capable of so they can build theirs to exceed our strength.
The realization that China is actively working to weaken the U.S. is worrisome. But do not fear! God is at work in China, and this would not be the first time a totalitarian regime has collapsed due to movements from the inside out. China’s increasing saber-rattling and blatant expansionism abroad hide three major problems on the home front. First, China is experiencing a severe economic crisis driven by rapidly falling property values that are undermining the confidence of consumers, businesses, and investors. Second, discontent with the CCP is rising sharply, especially among young people. This has triggered a trend called “The Four Won’ts” — we won’t date, we won’t marry, we won’t buy a home, and we won’t have kids. This is a reaction to the high unemployment rate, which lies between 21.5% and 46.5%. And there are fears that this trend will bring declines in population, in stable families, and in economic participation, thus triggering other movements of discontent within the general population.
However, the most significant threat to the CCP’s grip on power is the explosive growth of the Church, despite increased government persecution. The Chinese House Church movement is not cowering in a corner, but has instead set a goal of exceeding the membership of the Communist Party. People’s disillusionment with the socialist system and their thirst for hope create fertile ground for the gospel, and the well-organized movement has seen staggering numbers of people coming to Christ, even though it may cost them their possessions and freedom. This is on target to reach 224 million members by the year 2030.
That’s the key to our prayer strategy for China. Often, God does not directly dismantle government systems, but rather ignites freedom movements that break through governmental controls and cause them to topple. After all, His priority is people being saved and coming to the knowledge of the truth, not the rise or fall of any government system. His Spirit works regardless of human governments, whether they oppose the gospel or not.
Let’s keep praying for China.
- Pray for the house churches to continue to grow, have access to Bibles and discipleship resources, develop leaders, and boldly proclaim the gospel.
- Pray for the enormous numbers of believers to stay unified in their love for the gospel, the power of prayer, and their mission to bring the gospel to the Chinese people and every country along the Silk Road from Beijing to Jerusalem.
- Pray for the Chinese people to hunger for the hope of the gospel that outweighs their fear of government reprisals. Pray especially for a spiritual revival among the youth that will send China’s emerging generations into the right spiritual direction.
- Pray for God to move with a spirit of conviction within the Chinese government, including Xi Jinping. They also need the gospel and the Holy Spirit’s power to convict and lead them to repentance, which is stronger than communist beliefs.
- Pray for God to raise up godly leaders and civil servants to lead China according to His will.
- Pray for God’s hand of protection on Taiwan and His intervention in the plans of the Chinese government to invade it.
Father, You are God of China. We pray that the explosive growth in the Church there will continue and that the unity among the believers will stay strong. Empower Your people to continue their mission and bring Your kingdom life to every area of Chinese life. Cause the word of the gospel to spread to the hearts of millions of thirsty Chinese, even within the highest circles of government. Raise Your strong right arm to protect Taiwan and to prevent China from invading, which would plunge the world into a large-scale military conflict. In Jesus’ name we pray. Amen!
Share your prayers and scriptures for China below.
Remco Brommet is a pastor, spiritual-growth teacher, and prayer leader with over 40 years of experience in Europe, Southeast Asia, Africa, and the U.S. He was born and raised in the Netherlands and pastored his first church in Amsterdam. He moved to the U.S. in 1986. He and his wife, Jennifer, live north of Atlanta. When not writing books, he blogs at www.deeperlifeblog.com and assists his wife as a content developer and prayer coordinator for True Identity Ministries. Jennifer and Remco are passionate about bringing people into a deeper relationship with Christ. Photo Credit: Photo by Kevin Frayer/Getty Images.