Culture at the Crossroads
By Bruce Cannon
“O, that the woke crowd would go to sleep and the asleep would wake up.”
I am constantly amazed at the news events of the day! When I think I have heard it all, something new is reported. Dr. David Jeremiah wrote a book on the subject in 2011 entitled “I Never Thought I’d See the Day!.” He subtitled it, “Culture at the Crossroads.” In the book, Dr. Jeremiah detailed the current events of that day and how they were so shocking. May I say that we have moved a long away from that level of morality and decency in these past 12 years?
Think of some of the current events of 2023 and how they show clearly a decadent and depraved society:
* Our armed forces are considering using “drag queens” to boost the number of Americans enlisting.
* Drag queens are being allowed access to younger children in public schools and libraries.
* We are desperately trying to slow down the problem of children/youth changing their gender.
* Legislation in the U.S. that would sanction basically any type of marriage was approved by Thom Tillis and Richard Burr; our conservative senators from North Carolina resulting in their being sanctioned in so many N.C. counties.
I could literally go on and on with the very disturbing things, but you get the picture. We are seeing the pieces of evidence of a nation that turned away from God years ago through the decisions being made today in our courts, our senates and houses, and in our White House. When the leaders of our land do not have the foundation of the Word of God, the decisions they make are most likely going to fit the current view of the world and not of the Word of God! Thereby doing so, we are continuing to move further and further away from God. The further away we move, the less likely we are going to have His blessings and the more likely we will experience His judgment!
What we are seeing today reminds me of the days of Israel after the kingdom was divided. Time and again the Scriptures teach that succeeding kings would do ”more evil in the sight of God than the ones who reigned before them.” Israel spiraled away from God and He, the Lord, allowed the enemy to judge them.
What is our hope? If you buy into this article and agree with me, and I pray you do, you believe we are in desperate need of God. We cannot keep going in the current direction without running headlong into calamity! The Bible says of the character of God that He is “the same yesterday, and today and forever.” If He judged evil over the past existence of man, He will do so today. Let me share a few examples:
* The Flood in Noah’s Day was because man’s mind was evil continually.
* In Lot’s day God sent down fire upon Sodom and Gomorrah (for the same type of evils we see today!).
* In 722 BC Assyria defeated Israel and took possession of their share of the Promised Land.
* In 605 BC Babylon defeated Judah, took so many captive, and destroyed Solomon’s Temple.
* In 70 AD Rome slaughtered almost a million Jews and tore down the 2nd Temple because of sin.
What evidence are we seeing today that shows His turning His back on America? They are plentiful; aren’t they? How we need to wake up, pray up and beg Him for mercy! What depends on it? His power, His blessings, His protection and so much more! The America our children and grandchildren will have to live in is being determined today by the stands we, as His people, are taking!
Pray fervently and continuously! Stand in the gap! Live the life necessary for the Lord to hear and answer your prayers. I am sure there are many burdened as you and I are but don’t negate the importance of your prayer and your faith. America needs you!
Bruce Cannon is the retired pastor of Bear Creek Baptist Church in Bakersville. Formerly he served as Director of Missions for the Bladen Baptist Association and has served on the General Board of the Baptist State Convention of North Carolina.
Read more Christian news from Bruce here.